TEFL - Teaching English as a Foreign Language

Teach English Overseas

Teach English overseas, obtain a TEFL or TESOL certificate

Learn English
Immersion courses in the U.K. to improve on your English Skills. Stay with host family

Work Abroad
Possibilities to study whilst working such as an au pair. or as a nanny.

Online Degrees
How credible are online degrees? Is it better to do a full time course instead of a distance learning course?


TEFL - Teaching English as a Foreign Language

TEFL - TEFL certificate - TEFL Diploma - TEFL Degree - Online Courses

As English is becoming more and more widely spoken, there is a much greater demand from a greater number of students. Those students are demanding courses which are more relevant to their needs and the variety of people that want or need to learn English is now much greater as well. This has brought about a need for standardised TEFL qualifications.

TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) refers to teaching people whose first language is not English, but who need to learn it for one reason or another. These students are usually adults who are often paying for the courses themselves, or their company is. They are often highly motivated and literate, and already have an aptitude for languages.

Obtaining the TEFL Certificate
The most commonly accepted qualifications are the Certificate of English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) awarded by the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate (UCLES) and the Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (Cert. TESOL) awarded by Trinity College London. These certificates are generally seen as a minimum qualification to teach English as a Foreign Language. There are many schools that offer TEFL, but their certificate is not necessarily widely recognised.

Obtaining the TEFL Diploma
Certificate-qualified EFL teachers with a certain amount of teaching experience behind them can take a further TEFL qualification, most commonly a professional diploma. Diploma courses run part-time over one academic year, or full-time for 8 to 10 weeks. Applicants for these courses usually already possess a TEFL certificate and have at least two years EFL teaching experience.

Degrees with TEFL
After professional diplomas, there are higher-level academic qualifications which include a greater or lesser amount of language teaching. At this level of study, courses are often specialised such as an MA in TEFL, or include considerable elements of specialism such as an MA / Dip in Language Learning and Technology, MA in ELT management or applied linguistics.

Online Qualifications.
Since teaching is a practical subject, there are limited possibilities to obtain online diplomas and certificate. There must be at least some opportunity to do teaching practice, and "learn the trade". So if you find an online diploma, or online certificate, you should find out if there is some teaching teaching practice involved, as this is the only way to give your qualification some validity.



Disclaimer: The information on these pages are provided by the schools themselves. World Wide Schools takes no responsibility for any inaccuracies or omissions.
If you are a representative of this school and wish to correct information, please click on http://www.english-schools.org/form.htm and submit any corrections.